Questions Reno Homebuyers Should Be Asking, but Aren’t
The experienced real estate team at YaYa Group shares advice about what homebuyers should be asking of their realtors, and things they should be considering in the home buying process.
The homebuying process can be intimidating, and sometimes buyers know they need some help, but don’t necessarily know what questions to ask (you don’t know what you don’t know, you know?).
Luckily, that’s what realtors are here for! YaYa Group Realtor Louie Damonte shares some of the questions homebuyers should be asking in the homebuying process, but aren’t.
1. “What do I need to do before I start looking at houses?”
We all love browsing Redfin and seeing the crazy @zillowgonewild listings on Instagram. But before you start seriously looking for your future home, it’s important to talk to a lender and get a sense of your overall financial picture, including determining your budget and getting pre-approved for a loan. This will help qualify you to view homes, and will allow your realtor to devise a house-hunting strategy as they help you track down the perfect place.
2. “What should my expectations be?”
“A lot of people have done everything right – they’ve saved, have good credit, and everything else – but it’s still a very competitive market,” says Louie. “It’s really important to set expectations with our clients, and our clients with themselves, in regard to how challenging this market can be sometimes, and what we need to do to get them in a home.” Remember that finding the perfect home is a process that takes time and establishing that trust with your agent is important so it doesn’t take you losing out on a few offers to craft the best one
3. “What’s the current state of inventory?”
The Northern Nevada market historically cools down in winter, and the local real estate market is no exception. Although it is still active, you’ll likely see fewer homes on the market than in spring and summer. Generally speaking, homes that go on the market in winter months also tend to stay on the market a little longer than they do in the summer. But just because the inventory is a little different in the winter, doesn’t mean your realtor can’t help you find a great home!
4. “What else should I be asking my realtor?”
Guess what? As homebuyers, even though you aren’t directly paying your realtor for their services, you are allowed to “interview” different local realtors to find someone who is a good match for you!
Louie recommends finding a realtor who not only understands your wants and needs in a home, but also can pull on their previous experience, and that of others on their team, to guide your home-hunting strategy.
“There are a lot of really amazing agents out there, and there are a lot with less experience – which is fine, we all start somewhere,” Louie says. “But in this market, you’ve got to be a little creative, and you want to be working with someone, or even a group of people, to see what has been going with their clients and where they see things possibly going.”
In short, your realtor – and their team – should be able to offer creative solutions to get you through your home-buying transaction smoothly.
Want to talk more about the home-buying process? Connect with one of the experienced realtors on the YaYa Group team! Visit yayarealty.com to get in touch.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
- We found Ro and his agency by pure coincidence and couldn't be happier with the results. My wife and I had previously listed our house with another agent and broker that yielded very little interest and no results. The first time we met with Ro we almost immediately knew he was the right person to sell our house. Ro sat down with us, listened to our story, frustrations, wants and needs. He then met with his team and put together a strong marketing plan, pricing strategy, and potential contingency scenarios based on current market conditions. He immediately set up an open house that yielded more interest than three previous open houses and 5+ months of listing with our previous agent. He knew how to guide perspective buyers through our home and expertly pointed out the value in a completely remodeled home versus homes that were in dire need of upgrades. An incredible value added part of selling with Ro was every showing we had was a private showing. Either Ro, or his representative, personally met with buyers and agents at our home to be able to answer any questions, concerns, or fill in any blanks either party might have. We received an offer with in the first few weeks and Ro's pro level negotiation skills were on point. Negotiations, contracts, and closing were about as smooth as we could have hoped for. Today's current and forecasted market conditions require substantial knowledge of the industry and how to navigate the financial ups and downs that have been bestowed upon the American populous. Ro was immediately available any time we needed to speak with him. This winter has been brutal and I was beyond impressed when I saw one of Ro's associates shoveling our drive and sidewalk in prep of a showing. There are literally thousands of agents in the Norther Nevada market but I guarantee there are only a handful that have the ability of Ro and his team. If you use Ro as your agent you are getting far more than you think. You not only get Ro, but you get the owner of the agency and the other associates as well. It is truly a team approach. There is absolutely no question as to whether I would use him again. The answer is a resounding and definitive YES!
- Working with Ro and the Yaya Group was an absolute joy! Back in 2019, I was looking to purchase my first home for me, my wife, and our young son. I was fairly new to Reno at the time, so I located the Yaya Group online and decided to work with them based solely on their superb ratings on Yelp.com (I never pay for products or services unless the majority of previous users highly rate them). Needless to say, my experience then was nothing short of 5-star. That's why when I needed to sell that very same home in 2022, there was no doubt in my mind to whom I was going to put in charge of selling it: The Yaya Group. From the start of my selling process, Ro was personable, attentive, and kind; it felt like I was working with an old friend, and this in spite of the fact I had never met him before the selling process. Ro called often to check on me and my family; he constantly updated me with each stage of the process; and he fought for my family's best interests when the buyer made some questionable and altogether unreasonable demands concerning the purchase of my house. Ultimately, Ro worked it all out, sold my house over what I thought I would actually get for it, and he made the entire process effortless, painless, and a joy. I'm moving out of the Reno area, but I still have friends here, and if any of them ever ask me for recommendations for a good realtor, I'd have no reservations about recommending Yaya, Ro, and the entire Yaya Group.
- "Being a professional photographer who photographs 10-15 real estate agent headshots weekly I have had time to pick and choose my real estate agent and ask all the questions I needed years before actually needing one. Finding the person who would take 2 self employed people and get them into a home is not an easy task. A year before we found our home Yaya and team would take us out to any home that we thought might work. No questions asked. We spent nights on the internet looking for potential homes only to view them and find a reason it didn't work. Yaya never said anything negative to us about this process at all. And this is what won us over in the end. Look… There are a crap ton of real estate agents in the area but we wanted someone who would take the time to listen to us and focus on our needs. We wanted someone that would talk to us and think for us. There were many times we were anxious and nervous and just didnt know the process… But Yaya simply came over to our home and worked it out with us. It wasnt just my wife and I on this… Yaya was there too. Personality is king. Make sure your money is going to someone who deserves it."
- "Working with Ro and YaYa on selling and buying a new home has been the best experience. You hear nightmare stories about selling and buying at the same time, but this process has been seamless. I sat down with Ro and YaYa to discuss my needs, and within 4 days my home was in escrow and over the amount I could ever dream. A few weeks later I was also in escrow on my new home. No storage fees, interim living between the two homes because they listened to my needs and found a buyer willing to work with my request. They are an amazing team to work with and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience."